Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Power of Influence






in-flu-ence n. the capacity or power of persons or things to produce effects on others by intangible or indirect means.


I was recently listening to a man speaking about the power of influence. He said, "Everything we do has some sort of influence on the people around us, whether it be good or bad." This really got me to thinking of my influence on all those lives I come into contact with. I had always known this to some extent, but I had never thought of what power I really had on those around me.

I have always had a deep desire to help and to give. One of my favorite stories about my childhood is one of me wrapping a ton of phone books my dad had got for his office and then I proceeded to deliver the wrapped books throughout our neighborhood. Also, one of my favorite songs is called, "Because I have been given much." To give is one of the most satisfying feelings that I believe there is.


I know that the power of our influence is strongest within our family life. These are the people we come into contact most frequently, these are the people that depend most on us for help and these are the people we hope will find happiness in their lives.

The power of influence is probably greatest in an uplifting way when we serve others. I know that when I receive a gift from someone, whether it is tangible or intangible, when it is given for no reason other than to receive the satisfaction of giving, that gift means so much more. And the influence, that much greater.

At one point I thought that the only way to give was to go out and serve in our community. I now know the importance of serving within our home. This is the basics of society, the stronger home we build for our families, the stronger our communities are. And if we serve our family and teach them the importance of serving, we are not only serving them, but countless others that might be touched by the lives they serve.

I remember once when Jon and I were fighting, and to tell you the truth, I can't remember what we were fighting about, I just remember that I was being very unpleasant. It was almost time for bed, and I had already gone up to our room to get ready to go to sleep. Jon came up with a cup of ice cold water and set it on my nightstand.

Now to many, that doesn't mean much, but to me, in that point in time meant the world. Every night I take a cup of ice water to bed with me, and a lot of the time I will ask Jon to get it for me. For him to get me a glass of water in the middle of an argument where I knew I was being a little unreasonable was an act of kindness that was not deserved. His influence changed the atmosphere of our home that night from one that was hurtful and unpleasant to one of love and peace.

As I have thought more and more about my influence and whether or not it is one that is uplifting, or one that brings others down, I realize how important it is to let the little things go, and to build on each others strengths and let others sometimes find their own answers.

We are in a constant battle between doing right and doing wrong. Sometimes it is hard to see which is the correct choice, but if we keep our minds focused on what is important, our families and our long term happiness, we will be sure to choose the right overall.

It is my hope that I can keep the big picture in mind, and keep the influence I have on others to be one that helps and uplifts.





1 comment:

Roby Sue said...

you are a great influence. you teach me all the time about patience and being a good parent.