Sunday, January 9, 2011

What would you do with a time machine?

Jocelyn, my oldest, is an avid reader. She would read all day if I let her. In fact, sometimes when she is in trouble, I take her book away as a punishment. I never thought that could be a punishment until I had her. But it really works!!!

With all Jocelyn's reading, she is always bringing up interesting items for discusiion for our family. She has recently been reading a book about time travel and so at dinner one night this week she asked us . . .
"If you had a time machine and could only go one place, where would you go?"

I knew instantly what I would do. I would go find myself back in 7th grade and clue me in on some decisions I should make to better my life. If only I had the knowledge I have now back then, life would be so much better. Right???

Well, Jon immediately says he would figure out a way stop the 9-11 attacks from happening. Show off!!! Another prime example of how is he generally a better person than me. I, of coarse, think of myself and how I could make my life better. So I took his response as a challenge and responded that I would find the guy who pulled Hitler out of his depression while he was imprisoned and stop him from making contact which would have probably resulted in Hitler committing suicide and therefore Nazi Germany would have never existed.

HAHAHAHA, I beat him!!! Okay, I know, he still wins the better person award.

But all this history changing really got me thinking. Just think how different everything would be if we were able to do any of these things. Both of Jon's grandfathers fought in WWII. Jon's life would be incredibly different if there was no Nazi Germany. And to think of all the lives saved and families that wouldn't have been torn apart.

I know there have been many movies made with this concept in mind. How just changing one simple thing in history and how that minor change impacts all the world. I know if we were changing huge events, even in simple ways, it obviously would have a major impact on humanity. But what about my little discussion with 7th grader Caitlin?

The more I think about this, the more I realize that I like who I am, and I like where I am. Even if it has been a bumpy road and I have taken a couple wrong turns, ultimately I am happy. If I would have talked to 7th grader Caitlin and actually convinced her to listen to me and follow my advice, I probably would not be married to my husband, and I cannot imagine my life without him. And to think of my life without my children . . . well I just don't want to go there.

I am happy to say that this little dinner discussion has taught me something amazing. Something I would not have believed before. I don't have any regrets!! Those moments of suffering in my life have been great learning experiences for me, and make me who I am today. And although they were not my greatest moments, they give me a greater appreciation for the good things in life.

Jocelyn dear, you have been such a great teacher to your mother. Ever since the moment I knew you existed you have made me a better person. Thanks for teaching your mother another important lesson. I now know how happy I am with the road I haven taken in my life.

No regrets:)

2 comments:

Roby Sue said...

I am grateful for the woman you are, and very happy that you were able to come to the conclusion you did. Love you!

Megan and Keli'i said...

You are awesome, Cait. I just love you. Such a thoughtful blog post, and I am so proud of the woman you are and love your courage and pizzaz for life. You're amazing. Great though, that "No Regrets!"