Wednesday, October 28, 2009

give me FREEDOM

I was once given a book by a friend called Mitten Strings for God. I thought, how nice then put it down and forgot about it. Years later I finally decided to pick it up and read it because it look like an easy read and nothing else looked good. It has changed my life.
It is a book written by a mother with little tid-bits about parenting. One that really changed my perspective was about simplicity. The quote in her book is now my favorite quote.

"In simplicity there is freedom, freedom to enjoy more and do less."

When I read this I thought 'This is what I want.' For the past four years I have worked my butt off. In fact it is almost incomprehensible the amount of stuff I have accomplished. Not like anything is really that big of a milestone, but man sometimes I wonder how I have gotten by with so little sleep. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but seriously I'm a borderline work-aholic, and Jon might question the borderlineness of that statement.
In these years I have found out that I have become a slave to my work. I have this obnoxious habit of over doing everything. I always want everything to come out perfect, so everything thing I do I try to give 110%. Not that that is bad, but when you bite off more than you can chew and you want everything to be perfect that = little rest + lots of stress.
I have found that all these commitments I have made that once were so much fun just aren't fun anymore and I am now their slave. So I have been re-evaluating my life and trying to only committee to a handful of task so I have freedom. I have a lot more years ahead of me and a lot more work. I don't have to accomplish everything today, tomorrow is another day.
Since I have been down-sizing my workload I can finally get the enjoyment in the activities again. Ahhh . . . simplicity. If I only knew earlier the wisdom in it.
The moral of this story is;
If someone gives you a book, it is generally something they thought might benefit your life. Read it, it just might.

4 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

Wait, I am so happy that you wrote a new post!!! And what a great post it is! Yes, I need to read that book. And you are an amazing woman, Caitlin. I miss you.

Roby Sue said...

I seek the same thing... simplicity. I spend a lot of time thinking about how to keep life more simple, and how it ultimately blesses our lives and our children.
I'm glad you posted. It was a pleasant surprise to log into my blogger dashboard and see something new from you. :)

Luther Family said...

i'll try to do it more often:)

Roby Sue said...

yes please. :)